Thursday, November 1, 2012

I'm Just Not Wired That Way


I’m Just Not Wired That Way
As I continue to walk this earth, I am growing increasingly disturbed with the way people continue to treat each other.
I was at lunch today, and I ran into a coworker who has normally really never cared to speak to me or say a kind word. Every time I see him in the hall, this person never speaks or I have to be the one to initiate the conversation. Still, the person never speaks or says anything kind. I thought that today at lunch, it might be a little different because we not at work and maybe this person would be a little different, WRONG. Of course I took the high road and politely spoke first; the person only looked at me and gave a slight yet phony grin. At first I was a little disturbed because I am not used to people not liking me or having an issue with me especially if you do not know me, but then I paused. I asked myself, “Gilrath would you really want to be friends with a person that treated others this way?” That snapped me back to reality and I was able to brush it off. You see, I am not a person that knows how to be rude to others, even to those who have been rude or have offended me personally. I am just not wired that way. I believe you gain a lot more by following the example Christ showed us by treating others with love and kindness. Sure, I am human and I do get frustrated with people, but to this day I believe I can count on one hand the people I have been unjustifiably rude to.
I have seen people be rude to others because they do not agree with the way a person is doing his or her job. While that can be frustrating it does not justify rude behavior. When I was a supervisor at a bank, I experienced a lot of rude behavior from people who did not agree with the way I was handling the job. I remember one girl actually resorted to giving me the silent treatment and was extremely disrespectful towards me in front of other co-workers and used her frustration with my job performance to justify her immature behavior. Eventually, she relented but I never looked at her the same. Situations truly magnify a person’s true nature. That was quite a learning experience. I do not understand how people can be so rude because you disagree. There have been several coworkers in the past that I did not agree with yet I was always nice to them because what was being rude, cold, aloof, and mean going to accomplish? The old saying that you catch more flies with honey then you do with vinegar is definitely a true statement.
I have seen people get mad and give silent treatments or treat people coldly when a mistake is made. You get to a point where you become afraid to make mistakes because you know that person who obviously is “mistake free” will go off and make you feel three feet tall or like you are six years old. I really hope that I am a person that you can come to and admit when you make a mistake or mess up. I am just not the kind of person that can stay mad or be rude for a long period of time especially if the incident that happened against me was not intentional. I pray I continue to be that kind of person. There are too many people walking around with an intimidating presence and that is not cool. I was under the impression that everyone made mistakes. Am I wrong?
I am careful not to be mad or be rude towards someone who thinks differently than me. Yet with this election season we are seeing more and more of that. It is no secret that I am voting for Barack Obama and I am a democrat, yet I have many friends and relatives that are Republican and are supporting Mitt Romney. That is okay with me. That is their choice as an American citizen. Yet we have so many on both sides right now being rude and mean-spirited. Donald Trump is prime example of someone who is rude and mean-spirited. I have had people harass me on Facebook, instant message, text message me and blow my page up because I support Obama. I would never harass anyone for their beliefs even if they go against mine; I am just not wired that way.
Sometimes, I tend to be on the sensitive side, I own that. I think in some ways we all need to be sensitive. We need to be more sensitive to others around us and what they are going through, sensitive to people’s ideas and beliefs. We should never feel justified in being mean or rude towards each other. Silent treatments are for elementary school kids at recess not adults. We need to be aware of how our behavior affects others and the implications for treating people rude. I like the person I am. I am glad I am not wired to be mean or rude to people, that does not make me weak though. If and when I need to get my point across to others, I can do that. It is a mistake to misinterpret my kindness and compassion for weakness. But I am not going to be rude to people for being them, I am just not wired that way and I am proud of it.
Spread love its, a lot easier.

CG2



No comments:

Post a Comment