Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Family Ties Can't Be Broken


Family Ties Cannot Be Broken


I never thought that two months ago when I went to Kansas City for my grandmother’s Homegoing services that only six weeks later, I would be saying goodbye to her beloved sister and best friend, my dear Aunt Alleyne Wallace. I still cannot believe it. I am still in mourning and still wondering, “Did this really happen?” It is too soon after my Grandmommie passed away, it is too soon after my Aunt Benita passed away. Death has rocked our family hard this last year and a half. Sure it is a natural part of life and it is something we all have to face sooner or later, but it does not make it any easier.
One thing that gives me comfort and I am sure others as well is that my Grandmother is now reunited with her sisters and parents. They are cutting up giving each other a hard time, and they are looking down on us expecting us to carry on their legacies and their love. My grandmother and Aunt Alleyne were not sad people and could not tolerate being around anyone else who was sad and depressed. Sadness was simply not in their vocabularies. They suffered much loss and much pain, yet they never complained and never wanted anyone else to feel sorry for them.
As we continue to live our lives, I feel that there is no better time then the present to cherish the family that lives on to celebrate those who have moved on. While I may not always show it, I am so grateful for my family. We have a family that a lot of people admire and love. There are so many people who wish they could be Bolton’s. When my Grandmother and Aunt Alleyne passed away, there was such an outpouring of love shown to our family and that is truly to be appreciated. That is something that none of us should take lightly. Not everyone gets the kind of love and admiration that these three received. That is the kind of love and kind-heartedness I want to be known for.
The love that my Aunt showed everyone is something I strive for. I may sometimes fall short of that but I love all of my relatives. Each of them adds a little something, something to our family dynamic. There is always a funny story, some little gem that makes my siblings, cousins, and I chuckle. There are so many stories, so many memories. We have to continue to remember that.
In June, we will be attending our bi-annual family reunion in Las Vegas. While yes, this year reunion will be a little heavy on our hearts without Aunt Benita, Grandmommie, and Aunt Alleyne, they would want us to push forward and do the around the world for them. They would want life to go on. That being said, how do you move forward? You just do it one day at time, no matter how difficult it is. To my family, I love you all so much. While our hearts are broken and this is a fragile time for our family right now, lets continue to honor the ones who have gone on before us, by continuing to push forward one day at a time.

See you all in June.

With lots and lots of love,

Chris II aka “Little Chris”



2 comments: