We Are Doing The Most! The Top Six Annoying Commercials
Okay, you turn on the television and you discover there is a predator on our televisions. We try to make it go away and no matter how hard we try they keep coming back to bite us. We get annoyed, we get dismayed, and some of us may even throw things. What am I talking about- annoying television commercials.
We try to watch our shows and no matter what, we are forced and subjected to the countless number of commercials from companies trying to get us to buy their products or do something that requires us to take action. There are so many annoying commercials and television shows out there right now. Do you feel like I do? Well if you do, please follow along and see if these things on television annoy you as much as do they do me.
Annoying Commercial # 1: Feminine Hygiene Commercials:
“I found out the hard way, not all washes take care of feminine odor.”
Is this girl for real? How do you find out the hard way? This commercial is really doing the most. Why am I being subjected to this annoying commercial? First of all, soap is something we all have to buy (or you would think people would buy). I do not understand why there has suddenly been a surplus market for annoying female hygiene commercials. The girls in these commercials are always so dramatic and annoying. And I know the poor girls in these commercials are just actresses trying to get out there. But seriously, do you really want to be known as the “girl with the stinky odor”? I mean don’t those products have to be purchased anyway? Come on. I could without seeing 50 of these type of commercials on television everyday. I hope I am not sounding like a chauvinist pig here. But come on. These commercials are seriously doing way too much.
Annoying Commercial #2: Yogurt Commercials
I am really confused as to why all of a sudden yogurt has been the food of champions? I mean hasn’t yogurt been around for years and years? Now all of a sudden yogurt has become this new power food or something. There are umpteen commercials about the power of yogurt. There is the one where this skinny girl who is probably some type of model is debating or whether or not she should have a slice of raspberry cheesecake and she has this long conversation with herself. While she is listening to all of the voices in her head as to why or why not she should have the cheesecake, an even skinnier girl comes to the refrigerator and gets the raspberry cheesecake yogurt. Obviously, this is meant to be our AHAA moment and go oh okay, we can eat this instead of the cheesecake. Then there are other yogurt commercials where people are running through the woods, smiling laughing, with some lame folk music playing in the background. Wow, I really did not know yogurt had this much power. I guess yogurt really does save lives. Then you have the yogurt with Jamie Lee Curtis that is on like every 2-3 commercials. Every time I see Jamie Lee Curtis, all I can hear is “ACTIVIA!” I really do not want to wait fourteen days to “go”. Sorry. We get the message: Yogurt is awesome! I guess everybody needs to get on the bus. It will save you!!
Annoying Commercial #3: Auto Insurance Commercials
Okay, I think everybody knows you have to have auto insurance. It is a legal requirement. But why are there so many insurance commercials right now? I have to admire Safe-Auto’s relentless marketing campaign and the Justin Case guy, who is obviously trying to make a name for himself. But come on, it really evident who Safe-Auto is trying to market to: those people who otherwise cannot get insurance from other places. I was in the inner city the other day and I saw at least three Safe-Auto billboards, I really don’t see them anywhere else. And the commercial where they have the girl dancing in the cubical then Justin Case comes in and does this really bad Michael Jackson dance. This commercial is just awkward to watch. Yes we know we got to have coverage and we want to save money, but all these commercials make me want to do is go with the other guy. Then you have the one with the black actor from Waiting To Exhale narrating some insurance story and telling a dynamic story as if he is talking about Star Wars or something. I have to admit I do like the commercials from Allstate where the guy is acting like different incidents: “I’m a teenage girl”; “I’m a windstorm”. I like those. However we don’t see enough of them. Obviously there must be a lot of people out there without insurance right now.
Annoying Commercial #4: Prescription Drug Commercials
I think if I get sick, I will just drink some orange juice and or have a coke and a smile. These commercials are really ridiculous. For one you have some paid actor who I seriously doubt takes the actual prescription endorsing the product. The prescription drugs always have the same types of names such as Lastatsis, Rasiatas, Lestisn. Cialis, Actilis, Glucerna, or Lecurna. They have prescription drugs for everything now from making your eyelashes longer, to looking like Cindy Crawford. Come on. Is it that serious? And the side effects? Do you notice how quick they run through those side effects? It is ridiculous. Think about it. They run through them (side effects) so fast, and normally when they give you the side effects, you see the actors in the commercial running through a field, having dinner with a friend, or serving dinner or something. Are they doing this so we don’t pay attention to the side effects? It is really crazy. You hear things such as:
- “Known to give you black spots all over your face that are irreversible.”
- “Has been known to raise blood pressure in 90% of cases.”
- “Do not take if you have brown eyes, blue eyes, or you have toenails.”
- “Has been known to cause abdominal bleeding.”
- “Can cause diarrhea, constipation, or irritable bowel syndrome.” (Wow so I get a buffet of all types of embarrassing stomach problems. That is hard to resist).
- “Ask your doctor if this drug is right for you.”
With all of those side effects, is it really worth the risk. And these commercials are equally as dramatic as the feminine hygiene commercials. The acting is terrible even by the actors who we all know and love. I think there are people who just smoke joints and come up with these ridiculous prescriptions. They (prescription drugs) have become the new home remedies that our grandmothers and mothers would have for us all the time. “Oh you have a an ingrown toenail, take this drug. It may cause you your four other toes to fall off, but it is worth it to cure that ingrown toenail which usually heals itself.” Come on. We wonder why drug addiction has reached an all time high.
Annoying Commercial #5: Political Ads
This is probably the most annoying to me. Every election year, you get these commercials. None of them have served the purpose other than to get on my nerves. Each commercial is a character attack on another candidate. It is name-calling propaganda at its best. In these ads, the candidate or the organization representing them goes on the attack of the opposing candidate brining up a bunch of fallacies and half-truths. None of the commercials just focus on the candidate and what they can do for me the voter. Do these ads really work? As an intelligent voter, I know better. They’re probably a few weak-minded people out there who fall for these ads. Think about what these ads do to that cynical person who is already jaded by politics. Seeing these name-calling and fear propaganda ads probably only further dissuade them. I love the ones that talk about protecting our country and our rights if we vote for the candidate. Seriously? As we got closer to November, the commercials just get worst. Yes, both sides are doing it. Most of them are a response to the other. It is just gotten to be too much. I will say this; I am tired of all the ads that attack President Obama. I thought he was already in office? I have never seen so much hatred for a man who is doing the best he can with the mess he inherited (more to come on that later).
Annoying Commercial #6: Men Shrinking Commercials
For some reason in society now, it has gotten okay to show men as being weak and submissive. Has anybody else noticed the large amounts of commercials where appear weak and submissive while the wife or girlfriend calls all the shots? One commercial is where a guy is on the phone and he is talking about all the foods he gets to eat, when in reality he is talking about yogurt flavors that his wife has made him eat. His wife comes into the kitchen and hears him bragging on the phone. When he notices that his wife hears him, he says, “I gotta go.” and then he hangs up. Is he afraid his wife is going to beat him up? Then you have the one where the guy walks in with his friends only to discover his “man cave” has been changed to a “mommy room”. Okay, is this what society feels relationships should be now? You don’t see commercials where men are dominating women like that. If you did, you would have all types of activist groups complaining about them. I think these commercials have sent the message that is okay for just one person to have control in a relationship. It is okay for one person to be bossy and make all the decisions for the other. I know it is just a commercial bout come on it is super annoying to be subjected to this.
No comments:
Post a Comment