Monday, November 21, 2011

frankie beverly and maze (joy and pain)



Recently, I had the pleasure of seeing Frankie Beverly & Maze in concert. Let me tell you how terrific this concert was. Frankie Beverly who is 65 years young still has it. The show was great. I enjoyed every minute of it. Frankie connects with his audience like no other performer I have ever seen. Maze did all of their classics starting with "Laid Back Girl" and ending with an encore of "I Wanna Thank You". What a show. I especially enjoyed the song Joy & Pain.

For the first time, I really, really absorbed the lyrics to the song, which goes as follows:

Remember when you first found love how you felt so good
Kind that last forever more so you thought it would
Suddenly the things you see got you hurt so bad
How come the things that make us happy make us sad
Well it seems to me that

Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain

Love can be bitter love can be sweet
Sometimes devotion and sometimes deceit
The ones that you care for give you so much pain
Oh but it's alright there both one in the same
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/frankie_beverley_and_maze/joy_and_pain.html ]
Don't it seem we go through life going up and down
Seems the things that turn you on turn you around
Always hurting eachother if it ain't one thing its another
But when the world is down on you love's somewhere around
Well it seems to me that

Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain

Over and over you can be sure
There will be sorrow but you will endure
Where there's a flower there's the sun and the rain
Oh and it's wonderful there both one in the same

Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain

When I think of this song, I often think of my family and friends. In large families such as the one I have we often do go through highs and lows. It seems like no matter where you look, there is always some type of drama that will unfold. I love the second line of the second verse that Frankie delivers when he says "Always hurting each other, if it aint one thing its another.." How true that sentence is. It always seems like there is some type of drama that unfolds. However, where there is drama there is always some type of happy moment, whether it be a birthday party or monumental event such as a graduation or wedding.

I thank Maze for writing such a great song. It makes me long for days of good music. It seems as if Good music has fell by the wayside these days in favor of auto tunes, sex, and flavors of the month. I feel badly for the youth of today. Often when we here our music, we are taken back to that time frame, we think of where we were, we can name the year and we just reflect with happy or sad memories. Will our kids of today have those same memories? What happened? So as you listen to Joy & Pain think of the message that Frankie is trying to give to you. You will experience happiness and sad but in life, you will be stronger for both. What songs in your life evoke those memories for you?

CG2

No comments:

Post a Comment