Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Best Christmas Songs

It is the time of the year where we celebrate the birth of our savior Jesus Christs, and cherish our families, friends, and significant others. We go down the Soul Train line at the holiday parties, dance, karaoke, and eat till our hearts content, then we open presents and bask in the day. BUT no party, dinner, or tree trimming is complete without GOOD, GOOD Christmas Music. What makes your list? What are those Csongs that just give you so much joy, that you light up whenever you hear them. When you hear the songs you think CHRISTMAS. Here is my list. See if you agree:

1. This Christmas - Donny Hathaway
The ULTIMATE Christmas Jam! It is simply not Christmas until this song comes on! Many have tried to duplicate and remake it [props to The Whispers and Chris Brown] but NOTHING is like the original! Before CD's I used to have to wait until Thanksgiving, and I remember when Thanksgiving came I would be so excited, not because of the turkey, but because I know KPRS would play This Christmas by Donny and you knew the season was here! So MANY memories attached to this song. OK getting a little emotional...! A little vklempt talk amongst yourselves..."

2. Soul Holiday - Sounds of Blackness
3. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole/This Whispers
4. White Christmas - The Drifters
5. What Do The Lonely Do At Christmas - The Emotions
6. Please Come Home For Christmas - Charles Brown
7. Merry Christmas Baby - Charles Brown/Otis Redding
8. At Christmastime - Luther Vandross
9. Sleigh Ride - TLC
10. Give Love On Christmas Day - Jackson Five/Johnny Gill
11. This Christmas - The Whispers
12. Happy Holidays - The Whispers
13. All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
14. When You've Got Love (It's Christmas All Year Long) - The Stylistics
15. Let It Snow - Boyz II Men & Brian McKnight
16. Silent Night - The Temptations
17. Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer - The Temptations
18. Hallelujah (A Soulful Celebration) - Various Artists
19. Christmas In The City - Mary J. Blige
20. Santa Claus Going Straight To The Ghetto - James Brown
21. My Christmas Gift - Alexander O'Neal
22. I Can Hardly Wait For Christmas - The O'Jays
23. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - The O'Jays
24. Jesus Is The Reason For The Season - Kirk Franklin & The Family
25. Baby It's Cold Outside - Ray Charles & Betty Carter

It simply is NOT the Holiday season until I hear these songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment