How many times have you heard that from a friend or a loved one? "I am just too busy. Sorry I have not reached out in a while?" How many of you have said it to a friend or a loved one. I have said it. We are guilty of being too busy and blowing people off for own personal reasons but it is mainly "I am too busy.". The question is, at what point does this become an excuse? How long before we are saying this all the time to people? How much do you value your friends and family if you are constantly "too busy" to make time for them?
For me, friendships are important relationships that keep us functioning in life. I don't know what I would do without my best friend and my cousins who I have close relationships with. Anyone saying that they don't need friends or need people in their lives are just lying to themselves.
I think it is very important to make time for your friends and those in your inner circle. Sometimes non-verbal communication is the biggest communication of all. When you choose to ignore a text, or not return a phone call, or not reach out in communication with others, think of the message you are sending. Yes, I understand we all get busy. I have been guilty of doing the same thing but these are supposed to be key people in your life, and you do not have time for them? I think of my cousin Myra who has to be the busiest person on the planet. Probably only the President is busier. With all the things that she is involved in, I have always noticed that she makes time for all her close friends and family members including myself. She may not always be able to respond back right away, but she will get back to you. That has taught me two things: #1. I need to be a better friend and relative to those who need me and be more accessible. #2. There are really no excuses from those who claim to be your close friends and family for the constant brush off.
When people say they are always busy, I question it sometimes because I know some are making time for who they want to make time for, so maybe it is a reality check. My best friend is never too busy for me. We talk almost every day in some form or another. Am I saying that this should be the norm? No of course not. It is not realistic to expect to be available at every moment of the day, but when you are not accessible 80% of the time, what is that saying? What value do you truly hold on a friendship in which you are never the one initiating the conversations or reaching out? If that person calls and you never respond and then respond back a week later and say "Sorry, I have been truly busy." That shows you the value that person holds on your friendship. Little to none at all.
In thinking about all that is happening these days where people are struggling with personal demons and personal strife a phone call and a word of encouragement can go along way. A person who has value in your life, should always be allotted time. It means so much.
I can relate to your post! I, too, get tired of hearing people talk about how "busy" they are. Everyone is busy, so it goes without saying. Also, people make time for things they feel are important, so telling someone you have been "too busy" can be kind of hurtful. Keep the good stuff coming.
ReplyDeleteThank you Abe for the feedback. I just get tired of that being used an excuse. How complicated is it to respond back to a text or a phone call? Maybe not right away but sometime throughout the day, it should become a priority. Again, my cousin is one of the if the busiest people in the world, yet she makes time 4 everyone important in her life so if she can make time there is no excuse for anyone else.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it a matter of what u want to make time for knd of like a balancing act. I understand busy especially with homework amongst other things, but a quick text email etc makes a world of difference. Sometimes to busy is jus an excuse of what you really don't want to do. So just be honest instead. Of saying ur too busy jus say you don't want to do it. Making time for family an friends is a must! Good read thanks for the reality check!
ReplyDelete