When I first got Facebook, I was very excited about what it represented. To me it represented and in a lot of ways still represents open communication. It was a way for me to communicate with my friends and family without having to spend a lot of time on the phone. It allowed me time to check in with friends and family on their endeavors and their trials and tribulations as well as their triumphs. It was a way for me to laugh at funny posts, comment on world events, and popular culture and so many other things.
That was well over five years ago. Now let's fast forward to the present time. I click on my homepage and my news feed and am very disheartened by what I see and read. I am subjected to all types of inappropriate and immature conduct. I have had to unsubscribe from a lot of people's pages because I do not want to be subjected to the nonsense that I am seeing. Pretty soon, unfortunately will will have to "unfriend" some people because the unsubscribing is not doing the trick. Now I understand that people have the right to post what they want on their pages but, also people have to right not to be subjected to it. When people say things like "If you don't like what I have to say, then stay the F&&CK off my page!" Okay, that is not a problem but also remember, you are putting yourself out there for comments and feedback. You are putting your information out there in a public forum. Your words, actions, and pictures are fare game.
I know I am not the only one who feels this way as I posted my frustration on the site yesterday and got a lot of "likes" so I know that others are feeling the same way I do. How can we expect our youth to do act appropriately carry themselves with maturity when a lot of adults and parents are doing the same thing. It is time out for the madness.Now if you want to know what I am talking about, I will give you a few examples:
1. Calling someone out on Facebook: Just because it says "face" book does not mean you are talking to someone face to face. I have seen people call others out with a beef they have with that person. Example: "If this bitch, (name here) says one more thing to me I swear.." Ok. my problem with this is, how mature is this person right now? Why put your business out here like this? Are you serious? Are you not man/woman enough to talk to this person face to face? IT seems like to me, you are hiding behind your page. Whatever happened to direct confrontation? I am not advocating fighting but what happened to if your brother or sister wronged you, then address it with them one on one. What is the point of this? A lot of kids are doing this, but I see a lot of adults doing this as well.
2. All the cursing: I get that you have freedom of speech. You have the right to say what you want. However just because you have the right to say something, does not mean you always should. It takes more maturity and responsibility to use the freedom that you have been given wisely and with wisdom. The amount of profanity is ridiculous that I see on people's pages.
3. Nasty pictures: I see a lot of pictures of naked women, body parts, body fluids, and just pictures that are just ridiculous. While some I understand are viruses are spam that our beyond our control, some are just people trying to be funny and its hugely inappropriate. Is it necessary? And the sad part is, some of the people posting these pictures are not teenagers, they are adults who are my age or older. What are you doing? How old are you acting right now?
4. Drama/Drama/Drama/Raining On Parade: These are the ones that every Facebook post is negative, somber and a buzz kill. Its the one where the person is always posting the worst case scenario or trying their hardest to make everyone feel sorry for them. Is your life that bad? Is their nothing in your life that brings you joy? Seek help immediately.
5. Misspeleng of wurds: Yes that was done on purpose. I read several post that leave me scratching my head and going "huh?" Some of it is not slang. Some of it is just bad writing. Please if you want to get your point across, we should be able to read it. If you are going to tell someone off via social media, they should at least be able to decipher that you are talking about them and not be laughing at you instead.
6. Pictures of drugs: If you choose to smoke weed, that is your business, but is it necessary to post pictures of the "cush" you have smoked? Do we really need to see you getting high?
Please understand that it is not my intend to offend. I am only speaking what was laid on my heart. It is time out of this nonsense. I still enjoy Facebook as a way to post good news, communicate with friends and family and share important events, offer support and sympathy to those struggling in their trials and tribulations (death of a loved one, illness, etc) but I don't want to communicate and be involved in drama or ignorance. Your words and your pictures are a direct reflection of you. If you are someone that is always posting nasty post or posting angry or depressing rants that that is how you will be viewed. Also keep in mind right or wrong, a lot of jobs look on your pages and use that as a determining factor to hire you. Who wants to hire someone that uses social media to hurt others, talk vulgar, or be nasty. Employers may think that this is how you will be in the workplace. How is your social media any different then your outward social and professional life?
Parents, please be vigilant in checking your children's pages. It is amazing the amount of vulgarity, nasty pictures and cyber bullying that goes on on social media pages. If your child is under 18, you have every right to check their pages and see what they are posting on others pages, and what is being posted on theirs. It is a good way to filter out some bad influences and help your child if he or she is being a bad influence.
Again, do not be offended but then again if you are offended then obviously there is something to that. We can do so much better. We are worth so much more than what we are doing. Let's grow and keep moving forward.
In the spirit of love,
CG2 - The Rath of Gil
This was great cuz and whoever doesnt like it needs to make the necessary changes. I love you fam bam
ReplyDelete