http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DclVLRhlX3g
I have watched this performance over and over and over again. Is there any "wonder' this man dominated the 70s? This is soaring, smokin version of his song You Haven't Done Nothing a "tribute" to Richard Nixon. Stevie had a lock on the Album of the Year Grammy three times in the 70s (1974 for Innervisions, 1975 for Fulligness First Finale, and 1977 for Songs In The Key of Life). The year in between at 1976 Grammy awards Paul Simon even joked and thanked Stevie for NOT releasing an album that year.
As I watch this performance, I am inspired but saddened at the state of music now. I give props to those such as Alicia Keys, John Legend, Erykah Badu, and countless others who keep soul going but its now about the bling bling and the partying. You think of Stevie and you think of his art not his money, not his love life. Lets remember our soul legends without them, there would be none of the ones out there now.
No comments:
Post a Comment