Enough With The Freaking Ads
My name is Chris Gilrath and I approved this message:Right about now, I cannot wait for November. No, not for Thanksgiving with Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, and my mamma's broccoli rice casserole, no not for the biggest shopping day of the year where I can get an I-pod for $15, but it will finally be the END OF THE POLITICAL CAMPAIGN ADS.
Here I am trying to watch my favorite television show and every time a commercial comes on it is one of those ridiculous political ads. How much do these commercials cost? It is funny how all of the candidates talk about useless spending when they debut new campaign ad commercials every week like they are Kanye West or Lady GaGa. It makes me long for ESPN, HBO, Showtime, and FX where I do not have to be subjected to these annoying commercials. Here is why they are shameless:
- Focus Is Not On The Right Person: OK. You are are spending truckloads of money to not talk about you, and amazingly enough not even about the other candidate. A huge percentage of these commercials are about President Obama. Its funny I thought Obama was in the office until 2012? Yet all the commercials are "Obama This, Obama That." The candidate responsible for the ad spends little to no time at all taking about the issues at hand, their political record, and their position on particular hot button issues that interest me the voter.
- Mudslinging/Name Calling Propaganda: The candidate responsible for the ad or the organization responsible spends 90% of the commercial talking about or attacking the other candidate to a point where it is totally shameless. It is all about what they have done in their past or their association to the current or past presidents. After the commercial is over, I am confused as to what the message really is. The candidate said nothing about themselves. To me these commercials are a big insult to my intelligence as a voter. Most of us have a pretty good idea of the other candidates track record. The goal is to get me to vote for you based off what you can do for me, not for what the other person has done.
- Propaganda Using Fear: The candidate or organization responsible for the ad using some type of scare tactic such as using our fear of terrorism, unemployment, or something that hits close to home for most of us to try and scare us from voting for the other candidate. Then they sometimes finds some "Average Joe" hardworking American factory worker who is out of work and they use them to sphew the words instead of having some unknown narrator to do it. The person is really emotional and really trying hard to play on our sympathies and fears.
At this stage in the game, it is time to stop all this "us" (democrats) vs. "them" (republicans). Is it too difficult to to try and figure out solutions together? Can we at least try? I am so tired of the constant criticism of our current government. Well, the critiques come with the territory but when we get to a point where we are insulting each other, it has gotten too far.
This is an appeal to all the people running for an elected office this year: FOCUS ON YOU! As Chaka Khan would say, "What Cha Gonna Do For Me?" Come on lets get it together.
No comments:
Post a Comment