Monday, March 12, 2012

"I'm Confident Enough To Admit I'm Flawed!"

Have you ever read a book or taken a test in English Lit. (think back some of you)

and been asked "What is our protagonist's main character flaw?", "How does this flaw affect the character?" This was not easily a one sentence or two sentence answer. Your teacher or professor was really looking for you to to put some meat (or thought) to this question and really answer it to the best of your ability. Does this sound familiar to most of you? Well, flip that and apply it to you.
Think about if you yourself was a character in a book. You were the protagonist in the story. What would be your character flaw? If the professor were to ask other students in the class what was your character flaw what would they say?
First off, I think it is important to define what a character flaw is. A character flaw is defined as:
In the creation and criticism of fictional works, a character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_flaw

So now that you have a definition what is problem, imperfection, problem or phobia that in sense limits us in our personal growth. "Well I don't have any flaws." Some of you might be thinking that very thing that you don't have any flaws. This blog entry is probably not for you then. You probably want to go ahead and go back to la la land and when you are ready to be honest with yourself, then come back at anytime. But for the rest of us, we all have flaws. We all have something that we struggle to overcome on a daily basis but yet we still struggle. We look to God for strength and wisdom but we still struggle. Or perhaps you just don't understand what your flaw is. A major part of growing is to admit that you have issues in your life that you need to work on or improve on. What is that one issue that keeps you limited.
I am not unwilling to talk the talk here. My struggle is taking things personally. I am an emotionally charged person on a lot of levels. I admit I take it personally when people do not respond back to text messages or phone calls particularly friends and family. I begin to create all of these scenarios in my head that the person is mad or upset with me even when I have done nothing to warrant it, yet my mind continues to think it. Ironically, I am not always available to answer calls or respond to text so I should be more understanding right? Well in a perfect world, where everything made sense that would be true, but still I get upset and become frustrated when I do not hear back from people. When I get the "I'm busy" excuse I feel like it is really someone saying, "Hey you are just not worth my time right now. My lack of response should be a message to you. Reality check!"
I am beginning to understand that this is not the case with everyone and I have come a long way. I am overcoming it day by day but some days are harder than others. I think a lot of this struggle with this issue, but we are all works in progress. What is the issue in your life that you struggle with? Do you take offense easily? Do you judge others constantly? Are you a weak person that has no backbone? Are you constantly looking for trouble in the form of a fight? Do you have a giant chip on your shoulder? Whatever the issue, it is time to take inventory on yourself. Flip the question around from earlier and journal on yourself. Here is the question I want you to ask yourself.

What is my biggest character flaw? How does it set a limitation on my life? How does it impact my relationship with others? Can I overcome this?


As you begin to write, you will begin to work at taring down the walls that you have around you. Admitting to yourself that you are flawed will begin to start the process of growing and learning more about yourself. It is hard but it will be so worth it.


Have a great day. Be Blessed.
CG

No comments:

Post a Comment