Monday, March 5, 2012

Knock Knock Who's There?

Think about this:

You are sitting in your comfortable chair watching television eating your favorite snack, sipping on your favorite drink and relaxing after a hard day of work. You are really enjoying your show and just feeling so at peace, and comfortable and relaxed, when all of a sudden.....

BAM BAM BAM!!

A knock on the door. You were not really expecting anyone. You don't know what is going on. Nobody called to tell you they were coming over and so you first assume maybe it is some stranger, a solicitor, or somebody who has the wrong address and while those scenarios could possibly play out, 90% of the time it is someone you know, particularly YOUR FAMILY. You open your door, you try to muster up some welcoming phrase and allow your relative in. "I was in the area so I thought I would come by!" What is with this? Am I the only one that finds this behavior rude and inconsiderate? What if I was entertaining someone? What if I was sick? What if I was in the bed? Any of these situations could have occurred.
What gives people the right to do this? At what point do they think this acceptable behavior? Who told them this? I find it extremely irritating and rude, does anyone else? I mean no disrespect and do not mean to offend anyone but it all about doing better in 2012 right? Respect for others also means to respect their time and space. Showing up without any notice is not cool and basically telling the person whose house you are showing up at that you do not respect their time or privacy enough to give them heads up. What is so difficult about this?
And before anyone gets in their feelings about this, I am not talking about anyone in particular or one situation. This has not happened recently but I felt compelled to write about it. Plus, if you take offense to this, then you obviously must be one of the offenders.
It is also particularly rude to come over late at night or after 7pm. That is when kids are going to bed, lights are dimming. You come over unexpected and ring the doorbell or knock on the door, there is no telling what that does to people on the inside of the house. It could be scary particularly to someone who is home alone or children who are of age at home by themselves. Don't be surprised or offended if they choose not to answer the door. Its for safety, there are too many crazies out there folks.

It is not difficult to be courteous. There are simple steps to do so.

1. If you just happen to be "in the area" call anyway. Just because you are
"in the area" does not give you the right to just pop up unannounced. Most of
time time you know in advance that you will be "in the area" so call early in
the day and say "Hey I will be over your way later, will it be cool to stop
by?" Then, when you are on your way, call again. It courteous.

2. If you are "in the area" and you do call and they do not answer, don't just
show up with the excuse, "I tried calling you and you didn't answer." This
is irritating because its like you are excusing your rude behavior. If I did
not answer, I was not available. Coming over anyway is in bad taste.

3.Do not bring other guests with you if you show up unannounced. That just adds
insult to injury. Don't do it, especially someone that is unknown to the person
at the house.

4. Even if you are only five minutes away, call anyway. Five minutes is better
than nothing.

Speaking for me, I like to have time to prepare for you. Meaning I want to make sure my house is presentable, I want to make sure that I have food or some type of snack for you, and I am not entertaining other company i.e a date. Do not take it personal if a person says its not cool to come over. Odds are other things are going on.You are not entitled to be able to come over when you feel like it. That is not cool at all. And if a person tells you its not cool, and you show up anyway, you have sunk to all time low on the rude scale. They have every right to not answer the door if you do show up. Again its about doing better in 2012, so lets be courteous to those who we love and not just do things like this because we feel our loved ones should welcome us at anytime. I love to entertain, and I love people, but that does not mean I want you to show up at all hours of the day. I want to prepare for you. How do yaw feel? Don't take offense, Its all in love folks...
Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment