Thursday, October 11, 2012

Freedom of Non-Speech


While I am the first to protect the First Amendment and freedom of speech, I am very troubled by some who abuse the privilege allotted to all of us Americans. It seems that lately we have become so vulgar, so abusive, and so negative towards each other and hide behind both the First Amendment and our other personal freedoms. I am extremely discouraged by the amount of disparaging unprofessionalism that I see around me constantly.

I often hear people say, “Well this is my First Amendment right!” Really? Whenever I hear someone using extreme profanity in a professional setting or in the presence of adults I just cringe. Whenever I see hate groups talking so badly about another group that differs from them and say “This is my first amendment right” I think of Spiderman and Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben telling Peter, “With great power, comes great responsibility.” I think that is so fitting when we hide behind our constitution or your age (“I’m grown!”). Just because we have the freedom to do something does not mean we should abuse it.

When I think of negative language I think of teenagers. I am very embarrassed by the amount of profanity that I hear coming from our youth these days. I remember a time in my life being a teen and I would accidentally let slip a curse word in front of my mother, I would be so embarrassed and be so apologetic. It did not happen but twice in my life, but twice was all it took ;-). Now I listen to kids curse so much that I just get angry. There is no embarrassment. Young ladies are now okay with calling each other “bitch!” so much. They yell out rap lyrics that are filled with so much cursing and so much degradation. Now I am not writing this as a way to blame the entertainment industry for teens using such bad language, but who do we blame...I say each other. I have seen a lot of educators refuse to address the bad language and just let it go. Kids now believe it’s a normal behavior. I cannot tell you how many times I have corrected a teen from using profanity and then they say, “I can’t help it.!” The only way that you “cannot help it” is if you have Turret’s. Then some of the older teens say, “I’m grown!” I think that is rather ironic since at this very moment you are showing just how immature and how unprofessional you really are.

Hate groups hide behind the first amendment as well. We let them get away with it. I get so disgusted and irritated when I see groups protest funerals of fallen soldiers or funerals of public figures with picket signs that display so much hate and degradation towards another group of people. Then we say, “Well that is their first amendment right.” Seriously? Often times, we say that because it does not affect us directly. But yet if these people were protesting at our loved ones funerals we would be fit to be tied. Something has to be done to protect people who are grieving from these hate mongers who also profess to be Christians and representing Christ. How would God be pleased with all of this hate? Other hate groups talk about they hate “Blacks”, “Jews”, and other minorities. Then they again hide behind the constitution. Some people can make indirect threats and be protected. Where do we draw the line?

We as a nation are taking our freedoms for granted and abusing them. When we are giving privileges, we abuse them. Where is the responsibility? Where is the accountability? We allow our kids to curse and have become so complacent. Adults have so much foul language it is ridiculous. It is one thing to be a comedian or an entertainer and use that kind of language. At least when I go to a concert or play a song I know what I am going to get, and if I do not like it, I can turn it off. But when I hear profanity and hate in public setting where kids are, or at the dinner table? That is a problem. It has become such a norm that often times we are immune to it. Kids no longer have respect for the authority around them because we as adults are not holding them accountable. I cannot tell you how many mothers and fathers I hear cursing right along with their children. I have actually heard daughters call their mothers “Bitch” and then the mom calls them one back. Then don’t you tell the parent their child has been using profanity, they will look at you left, right and sideways like it is not a big deal. I remember at times calling parents at home and telling them that their son or daughter has an issue with profanity and then they go “Oh yeah, they cuss that way at home.” What??? My response would always be, “So what are we going to do about it.? You may find this behavior acceptable at home, but it is not acceptable here!” Have we really gotten to this low point?

It is never cool to have an excuse for hatred, ignorance, and violence. We hide behind our age, our laws, and dare I say it but our bibles (“God told me to say this!”) and think that God is pleased with our actions. It is time out for all of it. Again, with great power comes great responsibility. The first amendment is a wonderful thing, but let’s not abuse it, let us not hide behind it. It is time that out for it as a matter of fact, its way past due.

No comments:

Post a Comment