Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pack'd My Bags, They Were At The Door!


Pack’d My Bags – Put Em At The Door!

While I did not have a lot time to think about it then, this past weekend I would have lived in Los Angeles/Long Beach for a year, it is my year anniversary. As I think about it, I reflect back to the adventure I had one year ago. It is hard to believe it has been a year, and now I am officially a Californian. I have made it one year even though some would say I would not. I made it one year, even though some turned away because they feel as if I abandoned them. I think about everything that led me to the track out here. Everything happens for a reason and everything happens for a purpose. We go through one season to prepare us for another. The last two years of my unpredictable season has led me to this moment writing here from my home in Long Beach, California.



I think back to the 1975 Rufus featuring Chaka Khan classic “Pack’d My Bags.” As I think of the first line of that song subtly belted out by Khan,

“I can tell by the look that’s in your eyes and I’m not surprised. You’ve got to move on like the sun’s got to rise, and I’m just holding you down. Cause the universe is calling you, you are one, the chosen few, you got to pay your dues.”

I think of that song in great detail because my mother told me that she was not surprised when I made the announcement to move. I also think of that song because in a way where I was at I was being held down and I was not in a position to grow. I had to move forward metaphorically and physically. The universe was indeed calling me to greatness and only in this move would I find that greatness.

I think of the road trip I embarked on. I make the soundtrack for my listening pleasure. Since it was a time for reflection, I made songs that reminded me of road trips to California and to other cities such as Dallas and Little Rock. I mapped out my entire trip. I was going to be at this city by this time, be on this road by that time, and be in California by another time. Well, it did not quite work out that way. I left a lot later than I had expected thus delaying my arrival into the golden state by one day. The first night I did not even make it to Albuquerque, New Mexico like I had anticipated. I only made it to Oklahoma City and stopped as by then it was already 12:30 in the morning. I probably could have tracked on to Amarillo, but I decided to play it safe as I did not know what road conditions would be ahead and I did not want to be on the road drowsy and risk falling asleep at the wheel (been there done that). What I finally approached the New Mexico border I was very excited. I remember travelling down interstate 40 many times growing up and being in awe of all the mountains, cactuses, and beautiful scenery. Of course back then, all I had to is ride, eat, and sleep. I did not have to drive, so I did not remember all of the adverse warnings such as, “Elk crossing”, “Dust bowls”, and “Severe Wind Gusts” it seems like as soon as I got to New Mexico I would see those signs everywhere.

I remember just being a tad bit nervous for having to drive in all of these

conditions, but those were nothing compared to the steep downgrades I had to start driving in starting in Albuquerque and going forward. While I studied and researched some of the mountain downgrades, nothing could prepare me for it. I remember I-40 being separated by the mountains and driving through mountains with nobody but me on the road and the other side of the highway being hidden by the steep mountains. It felt like I was in a scene from a movie. To say I was nervous would have been an understatement. I took my time, drove slowly much to the annoyance of others. I decided that because there were so many mountains, and steep downgrades, and that this was my first time taking a road trip by myself that I should play it safe and only really drive during the daytime hours. So I split the 27 hour trip up by 3 days driving a total of nine hours each day, delaying my trip by two days. That was okay with me. After all, it had only taken me fifteen years to get here (1996 was the year I decided I wanted to live in California) so what was a few more days? I thought that once I got to California I would be safe from all of the mountain downgrades thinking the worse was behind me in Arizona, boy was I wrong. How could I have forgotten the Cajon Pass? The Cajon Pass was a 6% downgrade that was out of Victorville, CA off the 1-15. I was never so scared in my life driving down this steep downgrade. I held on to my steering wheel like a baby clings to his mother. I drove down it like going 45 miles while getting flipped the bird, getting honked at, and getting dirty looks from passers by who were obviously used to driving down the steep mountain pass, they had to have been they were going down that thing at 75-80 m.p.h.

Once I got down the downgrade in one piece, I was in the Inland Empire and then on to the Los Angeles metro area. I slowly began to see the L.A skyline in the horizon and knew I was almost home, I had made it. I think about all of the dangerous conditions and delays that I had to endure and thought it was a perfect parallel for my life. I had a lot of dangerous conditions and delays to my success before I reached this moment, before I could to my season of favor. Once I survived all that, I could now embrace this newness. I welcomed to my new home by a nice surprise party, a few welcome gifts, and very nice dinner. I had made it. I was finally here after all of the downgrades, dust, winds, and life issues.



Fast forward to a year later, I have found a job, made lots of new friends, and have continued on the track to making my writing dreams and goals a reality. I have met celebrities such as Doug E. Fresh, Tyreece and Queen Latifah and accomplished a life long dream of mine by FINALLY being able to go on The Price is Right. Has it always been easy? Of course not. There are days where I miss my family and friends in Kansas City. There are days were I feel isolated but those days are few and far between now as I celebrate my one year anniversary. I am happy, I am blessed. I am thankful for those in California here who have embraced me. I am thankful for those in Kansas City who loved me enough to let me go to embark on this new journey, always know that KC will always be home to me.




For anyone contemplating making a move in your life, and it does not have to be a physical move but maybe a pursuit of a new job, embracing a new relationship, leaving an old relationship behind, I encourage you to DO IT. Yes there will be wind gusts, there will be steep downgrades, and there will be delays but with God on your side all things are possible and you will see your “L.A Skyline” in the horizon. Keep pushing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment