Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Dear Ms. Grahn




Dear Ms. Grahan:

I want to first start off by saying that I think you are a talented actress.  On your show General Hospital, you give great performances.  While I do not watch the show on a regular basis, I have seen a lot of buzz and a lot of critical acclaim for the character you portray, Alexis. I have also seen more than a few episodes in which you are featured and I think you are a great talent.

I am sure as a veteran of daytime television and being in the industry for the number of years you have been and I believe you tweeted 40 years, you know the struggles that people in the entertainment industry face, particularly women. I am sure you have had doors closed, been denied opportunities, and been passed over for roles that you have felt you should have gotten
Imagine that same situation only magnified by 75% for women of color and minorities in general.
From what I have read about you, you are an advocate for human rights, and for dignity for all Americans. So I was taken back quite a bit by your comments against Ms. Viola Davis, who became the first African-American female to win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series at this year's Emmy Awards. 

Because I do not know you personally, I do not want to call you a racist nor do I think you are a racist at this point. But however, as an African-American male, I was offended by what seemed to be you downplaying the cultural and historical impact of Viola winning the Emmy. She is the first African-American woman to ever win in this category. Do you understand how and why this is a big deal? Do you understand that we celebrate Viola Davis and this accomplishment? In your tweets that you have now taken down, you said that Davis is in “the elite of television performers” and has “never been discriminated against”. To make such a bold statement would indicate that you are a close personal friend of hers and that you are with her everyday. Is this accurate? This would be the only way you could ever know that Ms. Davis has not been discriminated against.

Elite of TV performers? Do you know that Viola Davis just recently became a success meaning that up until about eight years ago after Viola Davis was an actress trying to make a name for herself after about 35 years of acting professionally? Did you know that Viola Davis struggled growing up with child hunger? She had esteem issues, and fought and fought racism and being told that she was not good enough? Did you know that recently that in the press, a reporter called Viola “not classically beautiful” an insult at best. This is "elite"? I call it talent that is finally getting its reward. I call it fighting and persevering through many odds and people telling you, “You will never make it. You are too black” "You do not look like a super model."  I call it hard work paying off. I call it being rewarded by God for stepping out on faith. If this is “elite” then I long to be “elite” too.

You feel as if all women are belittled? You mention equality for all women. This is the equivalent to when people post “Black Lives Matter” then someone comes back with “All Lives Matter” as way to diminish the other statement. Because all lives matter, black lives matter. And so therefore because you want equality for all women, why not celebrate this proud moment for women? A women of color won the award for the first time, definitely something to be celebrated for all women as it’s breaking down one more barrier. Just as you applauded Patricia Arquette's acceptance speech at the Academy Awards last year in which she talked about equal pay for women, why would you not do the same for Viola Davis? 


Racism is real and it something that continues to oppress our communities. We are seeing more and more stories everyday that remind us that the fight for equality is far from over.  We have to continue to speak on it and not accept it. Believe you me, we would love to stop talking about racism and making things a "race issue". We as African-Americans would love the day where everyone was equal and we could just talk about one mankind. You would need to talk to the people that continue to use their positions to oppress people who  are different from them, people who believe they are superior to other races, and people who continue to believe that racism died in the 60s. Those are the people you need to direct your frustration to.

So therefore when something comes along that gives minorities some hope and a sense of pride, can you understand why we hold that so near and dear to our hearts? Can you understand why we are offended by the statements you made? Why is it that when we as a people speak out or celebrate, someone of another color wants to bring up another cause or find a way to downplay our struggles and accomplishments? Why at that moment did you choose to use this platform to tear down Viola Davis speech? Do you understand that because of Viola Davis an African-American girl in a classroom with natural hair, full lips, and dark skin can now feel proud to be who she is? She can look at her future and if she wants to be an actress, or a model, a doctor, or whatever she aspires to she has inspiration? She knows it is now possible. Can you understand? Can you understand now that a young woman of ANY color does not have to be a reality star, have sex on camera, and act foolish to be famous or be infamous to get her name out there, but hone in on her craft and that in itself will be rewarded and hard work will pay off.  The picture below may help to understand the implications of Viola Davis's win.



I appreciate your apology, however if you stand by your words you should own it not back peddle or back track because it got hot in the kitchen. Yes freedom of speech is what makes this country great, and you have the right to your say, but then people have a right to disagree and give feedback.   Understand that how you use that voice, how you use your words is what could cost you. It is never a good thing for someone to tear down someone’s accomplishments to get their point across. I know this was not your intent but this was how it was perceived. I am sorry that you feel heartbroken over the backlash you are receiving right now. I do feel some of the comments directed at you were not necessary or not tweeted in the best way and that is not cool, but can you understand the anger and frustration that so many feel at your comments?

I sincerely this has been an eye-opening experience for you. I hope this has brought forth sincere reflection.

Be blessed,


Chris Gilrath
Proud African-American

2 comments: