Wednesday Morning November
9, 2016…
I thought I was dreaming. I
thought I had woken up from a really bad nightmare. I was anxious, nervous and
restless, that probably had something to do with the fact that I only had 1.5
hours of sleep. I was hoping against hope it was really a bad dream a
nightmare. It had to be. Surely, I would wake up in the morning and it would of
all been a Dallas TV finale like dream.
Donald Trump would be our 45th
President of The United States.
God help us… what happened
here? The last month had not indicated
this. Hillary Clinton was leading and was expected to win the Presidency by a
landslide. Then on election night, she first lost Ohio, then Florida, then
Pennsylvania. Hillary lost the election.
This was no dream….
I literally could not get
out of bed. I was sick to my stomach. I had never experienced this type of
disparity before. I have lost loved ones, and that is the only thing I could
equate this type of pain to. Losing a loved one. I was grieving. That is what
it was. I was grieving. What was I grieving?
I was grieving the loss of
basic human rights and progress. For all the gains minorities have made
particularly African-American ones. I grieved. I thought back to November 8, 2008.
I thought of the moment President Barack Obama was declared President and I
remember crying tears of joy and feeling extreme hope and optimism. I cried
openly and felt so much accomplishment. Someone thought looked like me could be
President of the United States. To see The Obamas on that stage in Chicago. I
was empowered. I thought of my Grandmother Christine and Grandfather Rev. C.H
Littlejohn and was so glad that they were alive to see this moment to which for
them, because they probably never would have thought they would have witnessed
this in their lifetime. All have the pain and strife they experienced in
relation to Jim Crow and the Civil Rights movement.
Fast-forward to 8 years
later, I was crying but not for the same reason. A man who ran his campaign on
divisive, sexist, racist, homophobic, xenophobic garbage, threatened to undermine
all of those accomplishments. I grieved for my grandparents and all the leaders
of the civil rights movement because I feared all of the accomplishments and
the legacy of our current President Barack Obama would be forever tarnished and
destroyed by this man.
I grieved for my family,
friends, and people I did not know who were now reporting that they were being
harassed and bullied for being of ethnic background. Some (not all) of Donald
Trump supporters who felt empowered because their champion, their new hero had
won the election. They feel they no longer have to hide behind closed doors
with their cowardice. They came out in the open and made threats. One woman
said she was being harassed at a gas station and was told, “We won’t have to
deal with you niggers much longer.” Then a gun was pulled out on her but they
retreated since there were witnesses.
I grieved for the 22 million
people that may now lose their healthcare coverage because Republicans want to
keep their pockets fatter at the risk of so many humans who need a chance.
I grieved for my LGBTQ
friends who were worried that their civil rights might also be in danger. Agree
or disagree with their lifestyle, this is another group that were also facing
harassment and hate filled attacks. As Christians, we are to have compassion at
all times for all groups regardless of if we agree or disagree with their
lifestyles.
I grieved for women
everywhere (even the ones who voted for him) who were sent the message that a
man who bragged about grabbing women inappropriately, who faces rape charges
and countless lawsuits can do all that and still get elected to the highest
office in the land. I also grieved or women everywhere who was also sent the
message that you can be more qualified, more experienced, and still loses to a
man with little or no experience.
I grieved for so many
Americans who now felt discouraged, exhausted, torn down, and oppressed. Their
fear and their worry are very valid. I grieved for the people who laughed at
this fear and urged people to stop being so dramatic and quit being a sore
loser, when it is actually so much more than that.
I grieved for the hypocrisy
of this country. I grieved that the very ones who are calling for full support
of President-Elect where the very ones who challenged President Obama on
everything (questioning his citizenship, calling him a liar at State of the
Union address, blocking his policies, refusing to call him President, putting a
finger in his face, disrespecting his wife, children, on so many
occasion).
I grieved for the loss and
change of friendships. Some friends I will never be able to look at the same.
Not because of your vote or opinion, but because you heard Trump say those
things, you heard Trump disrespect so many, you heard it all, yet you still
voted for him, you were willing to overlook that, for what? For your religion?
So you can get a better job? Cause of your fear of diversity? Because you are
fearful of your toys (guns) being taken away?
I just can’t wrap my head around why for this situation. I supported
people who voted for Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney (the four elections I have
been able to vote for) but this one will be hard, I just don’t know if I can
look at some the same ever again. I am working on it.
I grieved for Christians. So
many Christians voted for Trump despite the very vulgar things that he said
about woman, the racist things he has said regarding Muslims, Mexicans, and
African-Americans, they still voted for him
A man so opposite of what Christ stood for, was now a representative for
some evangelicals. I grieved because those who have not yet come to Christ see
this and now feel further separated from Christ.
I grieved for the many
children who are fearful that their parents will be ripped away from them
because they will be deported. One of my friend’s daughters even asked if Trump
winning now means they will now go back to being slaves…
I grieve for those children who
on Tuesday were sent the message that you can be a bully and win and not have
any consequences.
Lastly, I grieved for myself
and other African-American males for the fear of his man wanting to reinstitute
Stop and Frisk, a policy that would immediately violate the civil rights of so
many. Police mistrust is already an issue for me. The fear that I can be
harassed legally and stopped for no reason (even without being in a car) scares
me to death.
Some of you reading this may
go, “Stop being so dramatic.” “Its not that serious.” “Get over it.” And what
have you. I chose to respond as such. Until you know what it’s like to be
harassed for the color if your skin (if you are white and say “I have been from
black people, then you should be outraged and empathize then), or for what
religion your practice, then please stay silent. Please hear what I say, please
hear that so many our fearful. And that is real.
Four days letter, I am
better. I am not 100% but my mind has been able to focus on other things, my
appetite has come back, and I have been able to rest. I am encouraged by all
the people banding together to show their displeasure in the results of the
election. Understand, they (we) are frustrated and concerned. For the most
part, the protest has been peaceful. Let people have this. I pray that we can listen to each other (both
sides) and come up with solutions. I pray the Trump supporters stop harassing
ethnic groups. I pray people don’t attack Trump supporters. I am encouraged by
all the people stepping up to assure immigrants that they are safe. I am
encouraged by those who are showing compassion and love towards those who are
dealing with the bullying and racism.
I pray for everyone who is
reading this. Pray for this nation. But understand saying “Pray”, “God has it”,
“God is control” should not be used as a passive way to let whatever happens
happen. No , pray for your role in this. Pray for direction and guidance. Step
up and get in your communities knowing that God has your back.
We will be OK. We will get
through it. I am not rooting for Trump to fail, because we all fail.
No comments:
Post a Comment