Friday, August 31, 2012

Funk Festival 2013



Funk Festival 2013. Let's do this!!
I was there for the original concert although I was in my mamma's belly. I guess that is where I got my love of 70s funk and soul music. I heard the concert was epic and everyone that I knew came near and far to attend the Funk Festival at Arrowhead Stadium (home to Kansas City Chiefs). It was a virtual who's who in funk music including Bootsy, The Brothers Johnson, The Isley Brothers, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Average White Band, and of course Parliament Funkadellic. My parents told me how everyone waited until almost 2 in the morning for The Mothership to land. What a good time to be had by all. My mom said that she could feel me moving around in her belly and really enjoying the music, I guess that is where I get it from. I remember sitting around in the summer enjoying the story every time my parents, aunties, and uncles would tell it. All of my aunts were there, and even a few of my great aunts. That is what this music does, it unites the different generations. Can you say that about some of today's music?

We lost a lot of legends in 2012. I think it is time for a lot of these bands to reunite and put together a FUNK concert to the likes we have never seen and may never see again. It is time to give us hardcore music fans something we have been longing for: Funk Festival 2013. It could happen, it needs to happen. It would be great. This would be me lineup. I hope some of them are reading:

Earth, Wind & Fire (including Maurice White)
The Isley Brothers
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Bootsy
P-Funk All Stars
Slave with Steve Arrington
The Brothers Johnson
The Commodores (with Lionel Richie)
L.T.D
Charlie Wilson
Bar-Kays
George Duke
Cameo
Con Funk Shun

With your emcees: Steve Harvey, Cederic The Entertainer, Tom Joyner & Sinbad




Would that not be legendary? And all of these groups could do so. I would love to see Commodores reunite. Chaka Khan could do some shows with Rufus. Jeffery Osborne could reach out to L.T.D as could Steve Arrington and Slave. A lot of these groups disbanded or split due to infighting or struggles. I say it is high time to leave all of that behind and reunite one last time. Lionel Richie has tried to reunite The Commodores, but part of the band refused. Can you imagine all of these acts together under one stage again? Our parents, grandparents, and a lot us young adults would be ecstatic! So if you are reading this FUNK BANDS, think about it. What would you have to lose? It would be an all day festival and it would mean so much to your hardcore funkateer fans.





No comments:

Post a Comment